Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Well, Shoot . . .


Week One Hundred and Forty-One - In Which I Lose a Church

Not on the circuit this week, but, in my casual reading, I was disappointed to come across a bit of church-related info.  Just when I had almost worked up my nerve to finally attend a Latin mass, I discover that my first-choice venue has apparently closed.  St. Pius X Church in Northside (formerly, St. Patrick) is being converted this summer to . . . a retail and production cookie bakery.  What the . . . ?  Don't get me wrong - I'm all for the revitalization of Northside, and, God knows, I'm all for cookies, but on a selfish personal level, I'm really sad.  Apparently, St. Pius, built in 1873, is the only instance of a church in Cincinnati "with a dome and steeple in the center of the cruciform structure;" it's listed on the National Register of Historic Places. An earlier visit to St. Pius's website (which has also since vanished) also made the community seem warm and welcoming.  So, I'm sad I missed it, but I will reluctantly agree that saving the church is a good thing - how fortunate to be able to still see the church  and pick up a few cookies at the same time.  Twist my arm.  Unfortunately though, other than a return visit to Sacred Heart in Camp Washington, I'm now left with the hardcore Latin mass sites, something I'm just not sure I'm ready for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter