Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Make It Work

Week One Hundred and Twenty-One - Saint Ann (Hamilton)
 
5:00 Saturday afternoon mass, St. Ann. For some reason, everytime I think I know where I'm headed for mass, my plans change at the last minute. Exhibit A: This Weekend. With every intention of heading to Kentucky, I somehow ended up in Hamilton.  I know, I know.  Cue the jokes.  Anyhoo . . .  
     
My husband and I found St. Ann Church with little difficulty as it, like every other establishment of any worth in Hamilton(!), lies on Pleasant Avenue.  The few times I've been to Hamilton have always been via the same route - north on Hamilton/Pleasant Avenue. It's a drive that cracks me up everytime, mainly because of its countless small businesses. It's so much fun just to read their names aloud, and seeing that the "DOG KENNEL" I had passed on other trips was, in fact, actively selling Christmas trees this time really made the trip.  
     
St. Ann's parish was organized in 1909 to serve a growing population in Lindenwald, just south of Hamilton.  The current church, the second for the parish, was consecrated in 1938, and it really is beautiful.  The rich, warm interior colors of the church are possibly the best I've seen.  Indiana limestone dominates the structure, but even more impressive woodwork can be found everywhere - the back of the altar (the "reredos" - who knew?), the organ screens, the side chapels.  The tall, narrow stained glass windows at St. Ann really aren't my style, but these particular windows are striking in the predominance of blues, greens, and grays.  The stations of the cross are carved into one-inch slabs of limestone and blend in beautifully with the walls to which they are affixed.  An incredible amount of detail can be found on the ceiling.  Only after reading the online history of the church did I find out that this detail is, in fact, the Apostles' Creed.  As I approached the altar to receive communion, I was struck by the beauty of the sanctuary - a black and white tiled floor, ornate carpeting, and, oh-that-woodwork.  It's . . . well . . . breathtaking. 

Fortunately, the beauty of the church wasn't dampened by a ho-hum mass.  I had high hopes for a big, bad organ in the balcony of St. Ann, but no such luck.  At this mass, it was a standard upright and hymns I had never heard of.  Apparently, no one else had heard of them either as there was very little participation during the mass from the congregation.  A rosary being prayed before mass got a bigger response. 
  
The celebrating priest bore an uncanny likeness to Tim Gunn, a likeness I couldn't ignore for the duration of the mass.  I adore Tim Gunn, but thankfully, this priest's mannerisms only mimicked Tim when it came to adjusting his wire glasses.  How odd, however, to hear a voice other than Tim's coming out of a body that so closely resembled his.  


"This worries me . . . "

ATTENDANCE: Two-thirds full 

DURATION:  55 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter