Saturday, December 12, 2009

Big Weed

Week Seventeen - Saint Therese Little Flower

4:30 Saturday afternoon mass, Little Flower. I've been to Little Flower Church many times over the years, and for some reason, I've never really cared for it. Although it had been several years since I had last been there, after this weekend, I can now say (drum roll, please), "I still don't care for it." (Big moan of disappointment) There's truly nothing specific that I can put my finger on to account for my dislike, and given a certain affinity for Saint Therese in our family, I feel like I should have some sort of special connection to her namesake parish . . . but I don't. Sigh.

I think part of the problem is the interior - it is incredibly boring. There's nothing to look at. It also doesn't help that it always reminds me of a Mayan temple. A dim, golden hue emanates from recessed lighting. Trapezoidal openings behind the altar lead to the sacristy. A stark altar is accented by dark, earthen vessels, and clay bowls are used to hold the communion.

Anyhoo, the cantor at this mass was very good. I was pleasantly surprised by an a capella Latin chant he sang before mass began. Very nice. Organ accompaniment throughout the mass was also a nice surprise. Sadly, however, either the organ or the sound system was too weak to do the music justice, and it didn't help that almost no one in the congregation sang. (I wasn't sure if it was a slight "dig" when, at the end of mass, the priest thanked the congregation for "trying so hard to participate". Ouch.) Oh, and again - responses sung to the tune of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel". Did it come down from some church music authority that every Advent response has to be sung this particular way? I don't remember it in years past. Why is everyone suddenly jumping on the "O Come Emmanuel" bandwagon?

I knew we were in for the long haul before mass even started when the presiding priest walked to the back of church. I'm sure he's a great guy, and he looked just as great in his rose-colored "gaudate" vestments, but he was elderly . . . very elderly . . . and yes, very slow. Truth be told, I thought we'd never get out of there. The tolling of the church bells every 15 minutes didn't help but remind me of the time passing ever. so. slowly. I was bothered by a number of people in the congregation who, in my opinion, were far too casual - the gentleman in front of me chomping on gum the whole time, the lady a few rows up who just had to put her elbows up on the back of the pew. Come on, people. Would it kill you to make an effort for just one hour a week? Then again, maybe they knew ahead of time that they were going to be there for a while . . . and were just getting comfortable.

ATTENDANCE: Half full

DURATION: One hour

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter