Saturday, October 31, 2009

Strictly Business

Week Eleven - Saint Louis

3:00 Saturday afternoon mass at St. Louis. Apparently, you don't need restaurants, bars, or shopping to draw people downtown - all you need is a Catholic church with an early Saturday afternoon mass. Exhibit A: St. Louis Church. My husband, who had accompanied me, questioned our early arrival - 2:35 or so - but quickly discovered the answer. I could say it was "standing room only," but that would be an understatement. This place was packed. Not a seat was left unfilled as, by the time mass began, people not only lined the walls of the chapel but stood in the aisles. Being the good, native Cincinnatian that I am, I naturally looked for the exits . . . just in case.

Those in attendance clearly represented a wide span of Greater Cincinnati's neighborhoods and population. I saw spiritwear from St. Mary's Hyde Park, Covington Catholic High School, Bishop Brossart, and Immaculate Heart of Mary. There were families, couples, and individual adults. Although my husband and I easily found a free parking spot in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati lot across the street, spaces were limited. St. Louis is downtown, and clearly, these people had made an effort to be here. What's the draw? I can only guess that it has to be the no-nonsense approach at this mass. There is no music. None. The priest promptly walked out of the sacristy at 3:00, everyone rose to their feet, and he began the mass. At 3:35, it was, "The mass is ended. Go in peace," and everyone turned and left. In between, it was a brisk pace as well. The congregation's prayers and physical change in positions were quick and purposeful. Get 'r done. Given the number of people in attendance, the distribution of communion contributed the most time to the 35 minutes duration. Otherwise, we might have been in and out in under twenty.

As mentioned, the Saturday afternoon mass is in the downstairs "shrine chapel" of St. Louis Church. It's fairly spacious but somewhat claustrophobic. A simple room of concrete block walls, dim lighting, and a low ceiling, it's functional but not fancy. Entertainment came in the form of a curly haired two or three-year old boy sitting in the pew in front of us. He kicked off his shoes and took out his trucks long before mass even started, so by the time 3:00 came, he was all giggles and wiggles. I got a kick out of him. Unfortunately, the lady in front of him didn't share my opinion of Junior's antics and shot him more than a few glares.

A man on the street with a paper cup panhandling for change and a man in the parking lot looking to clean anyone's windshield for a buck both made everyone look fairly hypocritical as good church-goers who, for the most part, walked past them with a blind eye. I was as blind as the rest of them, but I personally found it awkward and troubling. I'm not sure if my response would or should change the next time, but I will return to St. Louis. Having seen their chapel, I want to attend mass in the actual church. Therefore, this chapter is . . . TO BE CONTINUED.

ATTENDANCE: Packed

DURATION: 35 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter