Sunday, October 4, 2009

I'm Confused

Week Seven - Saint Vivian

11:00 Sunday mass at St. Vivian. Let me just put this all down as it happened, and my confusion should be evident.

I always assumed St. Vivian's was a fairly large parish, but upon entering the front door of the church, I was truly taken aback by how small the church was. I was even more surprised by the low attendance. By 10:45, there were only seven people in the pews, and at eleven, I counted less than ten children in the church. I'm confused.

Mass begins with an entrance procession that includes a sizable number of people bearing placards representing areas of activity at St. Vivian - lectors, Friday church cleaners (I mean really - how dirty can a church this size get? Do they really need to clean it every Friday?), one called the "Lord's Friendly Bunch" which I'm dying to learn more about, etc. There's a good number of people represented here, so there must be parishioners somewhere. I'm confused.

The music group was trying hard but definitely sounded better on some songs than others. Their "Gloria" was unfamiliar to me and struck me as having a style that suited it more to a Broadway musical. It was weird. The "Alleluia" before the gospel had a . . . well, gospel sound to it . . . appropriately enough, I suppose. It was weird. But what was really weird was the number of hymns sung with familiar melodies but unfamiliar lyrics. I'm confused.

I'm completely caught off-guard when the congregation files out of their seats to receive communion FROM THE BACK OF THE CHURCH FORWARD. Haven't seen that one since grade school, Viv. From my standard seat in the back of the church, I usually have plenty of time to scope out the flow, but not this time. I kick into lemming mode and follow the few individuals who had taken seats even farther back than mine.

It was at this point, as I walked to the front of the church, that I glanced to my right to see that what I sensed was a "small alcove of seating" was actually an additional area of the church equivalent in size to the one I was sitting in! Good Lord, there's a whole 'nother congregation over here! With kids! Theory: Years ago, small St. Vivian parish outgrows current building. Parish knocks a hole in the wall to build an addition onto the church. Problem: Years later, parish membership declines, and now church is only half full at any given time. Ah, the circle of life.

I make it back to my seat, but the revelation of St. Vivian being a church set at a right angle has me thrown. I just find the whole set-up uncomfortable. I don't like knowing there's another piece of the congregation that I can't even remotely see. If I were the presiding priest, I don't think I would care for it either. It was evident on this day that the priest was making a conscious effort to address both halves of the church equally. He may have succeeded in addressing us equally, but from my perspective, he also succeeded in snubbing the two halves equally. Awkward.

It was a slow mass. No one in a hurry here, that's for sure. Oh, is it time for the first reading? Let's make sure everyone's seated and comfortable first. Okay, now the lector may approach the sanctuary. (Five minutes later) Ah, she's made it to the lectern. Hold on, let's find the book. Hold on, let's find the reading. That reading's here somewhere . . . probably should have marked it earlier. Patience is a virtue.

It seems that St. Vivian is stuck in a bit of a time warp. The whole communion thing was sooo 1960's, but so is the church itself. I didn't get a good look at the "new" part of the church, so I can only speak to what I assume was the "original". Let's just say that the people of St. Vivian's parish must have a faith far deeper than mine because there is certainly no inspiration to be found in their physical church. I'll be nice and call it "retro". The brick walls, the blue drapery behind the altar, the lighting - all scream for an update. A ceiling beam emblazoned with the motto, "JESUS CHRIST MY LORD I TRUST IN THEE" or something like that, is . . . well, embarrassing. I'm sure their intentions were good, but this brick box is in desperate need of help.

ATTENDANCE: Half full

DURATION: 65 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter