Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Motherland

Week Thirty-Three - Roll Away the Stone

8:00 mass, Easter Sunday morning, St. Ignatius. First, let me begin by saying that Easter Sunday, 2010, has been the most perfect Easter I can remember in a long time. Temperatures in the 70's, beautiful, sunny skies, a quick and easy brunch, a relaxing day (with nothing to do but nap and enjoy the outdoors - yes!), and a good dinner. With an agenda like that, it's obvious why Easter always has been and will continue to be my favorite holiday.

I couldn't quite rally the troops to attend the Easter vigil service at St. Rose on Saturday evening, so it was back to square one this week, i.e. St. Ignatius, bright and early. Ah, tradition - and maybe a little too much of it. For how many years now has the children's bell choir played the exact same songs? Too many to count, unfortunately, but I do realize that for those first-time bell ringers, it's all new, and for their parents, it's probably another Kodak moment . . . yeah, I've been there. The generations are definitely changing at St. I's. The kids who I remember as kindergartners are now in college; the parents I volunteered with in the school cafeteria are now grandparents; and, most notably, who are these young families and what are they doing at my church? Attend the same church regularly and you'll definitely get a front row seat for the circle of life.

Ironically, when starting this little church tour project, I was content with St. Ignatius, both the physical church and the parish. Now, in a bizarrre twist of fate, I'm not sure I can say that anymore. After seeing so many vaulted ceilings, Michaelangelo-esque paintings, towering spires, polished woodwork, and even marquee lights on "The Tour," here I was on Easter Sunday looking at drab, blank walls in something that resembles a large, concrete barrel. I couldn't stay tuned in to the deacon delivering a disconnected homily, and I was annoyed that, as usual, the pastor made a mistake saying the mass. Even the music director flubbed the words to one of the songs. After a long week of Easter-related services, I'm sure the staff was weary, but I'm not sure I accept that as an excuse - it's only the most important day of the church year. And really, St. I's, would it kill you to invest in new hymnals? The only thing holding the current hymnals together is scotch tape and prayer. It's embarrassing.

"Familiarity breeds contempt"? Contempt is definitely way too strong of a word, but maybe that's the problem. Visiting other churches provides a bit of novelty, a sense of entertainment, and definitely a certain level of interest as one ventures into the new and unknown. Returning to St. I's means it's back to the "same old, same old." There's nothing new here - same music, same faces. It's all too familiar, and while some might find comfort in that, right now, I think I'll continue seeing the sights while I still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter