Saturday, March 13, 2010

In the Spotlight

Week Thirty - Saint Jude

4:30 Saturday afternoon mass, St. Jude. The interior of St. Jude kind of has a Sacred Heart (Fairfield) feel to it, only on a much bigger, wider, taller scale. Aesthetically, it's much more appealing as well. So, in summary, it's kind of the same, only different. Sigh. Nevermind.

First impression? Wow, this place is big. An almost-semi-circle, it is much more wide than it is deep. The decor really is aesthetically pleasing. Dark wood, dark brick, subdued lighting, and just the right amount and placement of stained glass. For a more contemporary church, it's quite pretty. Unfortunately, my daughter pointed out the numerous theater spotlights trained on the altar as well as on the crucifix behind the altar. Their now-obvious presence was suddenly distracting, not only to the eye but to the mood. My earthen-toned sanctuary had become a stage, and a theme had been launched that would, in fact, be carried out over the next hour.

Basically, there was quite a bit to see at St. Jude. For one, the woman a few rows up wearing a coat emblazoned with large black and white panda bears. Wow. You don't see that much. Stationed slightly off-center from the altar was a sign-language interpreter. I was fascinated. Call me shallow, call me sheltered, but when the woman's head in front of me wasn't in the way, I couldn't look away. Programs for the weekend's masses were placed at the end of each pew. (See?! Programs!) The cantor was a young girl all of twelve years old. Seriously. And she was good! When I got a closer look at her while waiting in line to receive communion, I decided that she may have teetered dangerously on the brink of "precocious," but I have to hand it to her. There has to be very few children who can stand at the lectern before a full house and lead them in song - complete with the "it's-your-turn-to-sing" hand motion and a few Latin items. I got the feeling that the organist was her dad. They had a couple of nice duets worked out.

Unfortunately, in spite of the music ministry's best efforts, it was weird - virtually no one in the congregation sang. Not the songs, not the responses, nothing. It was eerily quiet in the bulk of the church as the dad-daughter duo and two other individuals tried their hardest to rally the troops . . . to no avail. Maybe it was the "stage effect" again - "Oh, there's audience participation? I thought we were just here for the matinee." Yeah, there was a definite disconnect with the . . . well . . . audience that could be improved on.

I felt another disconnect while receiving communion. I stepped up to the distributor, and the host was in my hand. No "Body of Christ". Nothing. I think I gave an awkward "Amen" although I'm not sure to what. I definitely didn't get my slight head bow in, my one uninhibited gesture of reverence. It all happened so fast.

Nonetheless, I kind of liked it at St. Jude. There were a lot of people at the mass, including a few in the balcony and a few standing. There were families and children and seniors. The priest didn't waste time on a lot of things but kept the show, I mean mass moving. A large statue of St. Therese didn't hurt either. I just might go back.

ATTENDANCE: Full

DURATION: 55 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter