Saturday, January 9, 2010

Keeping It Real

Week Twenty-One - Church of the Assumption (Mt. Healthy)

4:00 Saturday afternoon mass, Assumption. I had never been to Assumption before, but after quickly summarizing the church's interior, I thought I had it all figured out. Clearly, the original church had been smaller than what I was seeing, with the "old" church situated at a right angle to the current set-up. As time went by, a growing parish community undoubtedly forced an expansion. A larger worship space was constructed and the altar moved to its new - and current - location, perpendicular to its original. I had it half right.

Checking Assumption's website for the history of the church, I discovered that the original church, built in 1854, was, as I predicted, expanded in 1957. Although the new structure was intended to be temporary until a more appropriate one could be built, at some point, the concept of a new, permanent church faded. Apparently, the parishioners were quite happy with what they had, and as a result, the "temporary" church lasted for almost 30 years. It was what happened next that surprised me. In December of 1978, a fire - later ruled as arson - extensively damaged both Assumption's church and school. The altar and sacristy were a total loss. Why I don't remember this bothers me. I would think it would have been big news, especially among us Catholics. Anyhow, it was at this time, as the church was being rebuilt, that the altar and pews surrounding it were reconfigured. Only eight months after the fire, the current church was dedicated, finally becoming the permanent structure that had been planned many years earlier. I really need to start researching my churches before visiting them. After reading that, I certainly have a new and greater respect for Assumption.

It's a nice enough church. Wooden, beamed ceiling. Several stained glass windows. Nothing fancy, including the people, and I say that as a compliment. Almost all of the people in the congregation at this particular mass - and there were a lot of them - were senior citizens, individuals who have probably seen a lot and been through a lot. No need to put on a show. These people are real. I like that. They've probably been parishioners at Assumption longer than I've been alive. I bet they remember the fire.

An older husband and wife were leading the rosary from their pew before mass began. Another elderly gentleman both played the organ and led the singing. The ushers - all senior gentlemen - wore green jackets (think: "The Masters"). There was no distribution of wine. That one somewhat surprised me. I wasn't sure if the move was a temporary one during cold-and-flu season or an adaptation to meet the preferences of the crowd.

The pastor of Assumption who presided over the mass is also the real deal. I remember him from several years ago when he was assigned to the parish my parents belonged to. My parents would speak fondly of his "old car" and his "frayed pants," signs of a real priest. At 70 years old (a fact mentioned in his statement at the end of mass that he would not be retiring until next year), he still seems very down-to-earth, even mentioning that he was anxious to get home to watch the Bengals' football game. I'm not sure if it was a result of that comment or standard operating procedure, but there was no closing song. Just keeping it real.

ATTENDANCE: Comfortably full

DURATION: 45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter